Some Random Thoughts On Pendulums

"I know very well that many scientists consider dowsing as a type of ancient superstition. According to my conviction this is, however, unjustified. The dowsing rod is a simple instrument which shows the reaction of the human nervous system to certain factors which are unknown to us at this time."
- Albert Einstein

For years, pendulums just told me what I wanted to hear. What finally solved that issue for me was getting a heavier one that I can't subconsciously "push."

While I do have a couple of pendulum charts, I seldom if ever use them. A pendulum is a very simple, direct instrument and I find it best not to impose unnecessary complications. I like to keep it to answers like "yes," "no," "maybe," and "rephrase."

I don't buy into new age/wellness schools of thought with "programming", Ascended Masters and their ilk, elaborate cleansings, or rituals. I just ask questions and wait for it to move. I do keep a camphor tablet in the box with it, it seems to keep it honest. Andy once said that impressions of past card readings seem to (at times) cast a shadow over a later reading. He called it "shades." I've noticed that I do have to swap decks out from time to time, as do most readers I've talked to, so it makes sense. He noticed the same thing with the crystal sphere. There's no reason that the pendulum would be an exception. The camphor tablet works, the pendulum works, and that's good enough.

Mine seems to work best for questions that directly affect me. I seldom use it for client readings.

The best bit of advice I've seen was posted by Cat Yronwode on her Lucky Mojo forum: "What a pendulum can do very well, and better than many other forms of divination, is to determine things in the present at a distance, to locate hidden or lost things and people, and to uncover hidden emotions."

It's good for cross-checking card readings. If the cards seem to be saying that grandma's ring is in a low, shadowy spot in a room on the east side of the house, and you think it may have fallen behind the dresser, the quickest, easiest way to verify that is to consult the pendulum. Much easier than moving furniture only to find out that the ring is somewhere else.

I got mine from Stan Slater in Austin, Texas. He does excellent work. He makes some lovely pens, too!

https://www.pendulumandpenink.com/shop2.htm

Miss Cat has compiled a list of publications on dowsing here. Enjoy!

https://yronwode.org/dowsing-divining-rod-water-witching-pendulum-divination-bibliography.html


 



Comments

  1. I've never had any joy with pendulums (maybe a heavier one would be helpful for me too). Nonetheless, I'm theoretically 😉 in alignment with your approach and POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.
      I think a lot of the problem is that even though they've been around forever, they really started getting popular in the late 80's - early 90's. They're simple - there's really not much to learn - and the new age crowd glommed onto them and started churning out bad books and websites. Looking at that stuff can be really off-putting. Most of the modern stuff is neurotic advice that has people dowsing their shampoo to see if it's for their Highest Spiritual Good. And shopping for pendulums themselves is the same way. Lots of gimmicky "Egyptian"/wicca/whatever stuff plus the idea that you need different crystals for every purpose.
      I like using the pendulum. I just don't like many pendulum people.

      Delete
    2. "... people dowsing their shampoo to see if it's for their Highest Spiritual Good." 😂
      Yeah, people tend to mess up every good thing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Readings Available

The Bohemian Fortune Telling Cards & Mercury's Fortune Telling Cards

About Me: a (re)introduction