We're all adults here.

About ten years ago, six or less of us were hanging out at Kapherus's old forum talking about Lenormand. It was the only english speaking place to talk about the nuts-and-bolts matter of reading the cards. And that was OK.

Meanwhile, a woman named Melissa was creating a Lenormand and posting the images at AT. They were very lovely images, and she gained a following.

Then she was invited to do a presentation at one of those big Tarot conferences. And from there, everything went full potato.

I don't think Melissa intended this. And I've always liked her, and her deck. It just happened that way. Things went explody. 

From all this, we got a lot of aggravation, bad books, decks, and websites. But we also got a few real gems. Books from Andy Boroveshengra and Rana George. Bjorn Meuris's Volume 2 that deals with the Method of Distance, Caitlin Matthews' book, and a handful of truly wonderful decks as well.
 
After awhile, the dust settled. Things were far from perfect, but people did seem to grasp the facts that Lenormand is not read like modern Tarot, deck imagery is best when it's sparse, and just because you prefer cats to dogs doesn't mean a Cat card functions the same way a Dog card does. Ten years on and AT is no more. It's OK, I like this place better: * link redacted *  (NOTE: As of April 2022, the Tarot, Tea and Me forum is no longer recommended. Traditional/cartomantic readers are no longer welcome to post there.) There are, naturally, new Lenormand readers there and they're posting all the "resources" they found. I've been checking them out - aren't we due for another great one? An Andy? A Rana?

It doesn't look like it. As a matter of fact, I noticed a disturbing trend. These "experts" are rank beginners. Often, they're just parroting a dumbed-down version of one of the authors who was out there already - and getting it all wrong. One even TOUTS the fact that she's a beginner ("beginner's mind" - NOT EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE ZEN. Would you go to a surgeon with a "beginner's mind"?) and she uses SOCK PUPPETS in some of her videos. I shit you not:


That's just one person, but there is a strong kiddie vibe to a lot of channels and websites, and a severe lack of quality. And that, friends, is what I find VERY offensive. Are we not grown-ass people?
 
I'm not looking for instruction on Lenormand, but if I wanted to find out how to do something I didn't know well - say, a household repair - I wouldn't expect the related youtube videos to have neon colored toys in them, or talk to me like I had some kind of severe cognitive issue even though THEY'RE the ones who don't know their ass from the proverbial hole in the ground. And the household repair videos never do that. You can fix your faucet, or your laptop, or virtually anything without being talked to like a four year old. Youtube videos on things like this, on sewing, on makeup, and other subjects tend to be useful. You can watch hours of cooking videos with nary a puppet in sight. It's just the card reading videos that are an utter shitshow.

Cartomancy is not for the target audience of Barney or The Banana Splits. It's complex, and you have to study, practice, and think. You're learning a language, with history and culture and tradition. You might even need a book that cites sources. *gasp!*

Just because a person is interested in learning to read cards, and willing to make the leap of faith that it could actually work, does not mean that they are a mark, a sucker, a chump, or some kind of idiot to be taken advantage of. 

I don't know how predictive reading works, and I've been doing it for decades. What we're bumping into is a mystery, and I suspect it's something to do with the nature of time itself. There is science here, we just haven't figured it out yet. And if you assume I'm a halfwit because I believe in something that I've actually seen work again and again, well, I got something for dat ass.

Please, respect your audience. Don't treat them like they're in training pants.

Comments

  1. I liked Melissa, too. Sock puppets can kick rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stella,
    No one tells it like it is the way you do! I love it.
    Hope all is well with you over in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I want your quote on a business card that I can just give out when the subject comes up...and it applies to anything science does not understand yet.

    "I don't know how predictive reading works, and I've been doing it for decades. What we're bumping into is a mystery, and I suspect it's something to do with the nature of time itself. There is science here, we just haven't figured it out yet."

    Thank you for that! Quinn64 on TTM)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Readings Available

The Bohemian Fortune Telling Cards & Mercury's Fortune Telling Cards

About Me: a (re)introduction